Saturday, August 22, 2009

24 Hours of Booty!

Here's the short synopsis that I threw out to facebook:175.54 miles, 11.36 hours ride time, 7083 ft of ascent, 16289 calories burned, 2 hours sleep, two fatacinos and 4 lbs lighter than yesterday at this time. Good times with good friends! If you didn't ride the 24 hrs of Booty, you missed something! "I hate cancer."Now the real report. Better get comfy and a cup of coffee. I have a lot to say.

I got there around 3:30 Friday afternoon, found the base camp which BTW was right beside the main stage. Perfect place to enjoy the bands, foods and festivities, but at 6am the next morning not so good for sleeping in after a late night of pedaling. Before and during the ride several people kept asking me if I had a goal, mileage wise. I didn't, just figured I would ride till I got tired, rest, then ride some more. And thats basically what I did! As usual the Bee team grouped at the rear of the starting crowd, then we inched out way up all the way to the front of the line! I hope our jerseys were visable on some news shots. Dari, out team captain for this ride, (THANK YOU DARI) was catapulted further up into the survivor group, which got to be the lead group on the first lap, then came the top fundraisers, then about three minutes later the peleton with us leading out. It was pandamonium at its best after the first lap. No way Pat to form a paceline. I told several bees about how much fun it was to snake your way through the slower riders, I felt like a member of the pack you would see on the TDF coverage. The spectators were just great. All up and down the 3 mile loop the people were partying, and encouraging us on. Lined both sides of the road. I told HRH, those Myers Parkers were just looking for a reason to party! I felt for them as I watched them trying to get out of the side roads, waiting for a gap big enough to scoot thru to a open road. The police and volunteers were wonderful at helping in this aspect. I never had to stop for a car, but I did want to several times when the traffic lights turned red. A good habit I guess. After the first few laps HRH and I found each other and stayed together for a few hours until she had to leave to go home, beach trip! Have fun Victoria! We were riding hard for me, over 17mph avg. Then after she left, Daniel and I hooked up and pushed our pace on to 17.5 for the first 50 miles. then he ate some bootyville dinner and got the bootyville belly ache. Daniel's the one that put the mileage goal booger on me, he was shooting for 100 miles the first day, and as the night progressed, I could see that happening. But the bee's were dropping like flies around midnight. They kept saying something about the body needing rest to be able to go the distance. I had adopted a goal to lose some weight, but forgot that to do that, I should keep my HR down, slow and easy, I was riding hard and fast. The second 50 miles, left to my own pace, I dropped to my usual 15.5 avg. about 3:45 am I hit Daniels goal of 100 miles and decided to stop for the night. Had no trouble going to sleep, but I really wanted to be riding from dark into the sunrise, so I set my alarm for 5:30. When that went off, I quickly changed my plans to get more sleep and turned off that stupid alarm on my phone. But alas, promptly at 6am, the event organizers decided the masses needed some pep em up music and announcements to get everyone going, and I think my tent was the closest one to the loudspeakers. So with not much rest I got suited back up, fueled up, and back on the road. The legs were feeling the pain and I decided today I would keep it slow and easy. I met alot of people, I met some of Sharlenes friends from the Tri It For Life group. I met the guy on the unicycle, who I think rode on one wheel for more than 40 miles. I met a pretty girl from Asheville, her bike had some Christmas tree lights that made it unique at night. I stopped and met the faithful spectators just past the start line that had sat out there all night, clapping for each and every rider that came by, which equates to clapping for at least 15 hours non-stop. I bet they have sore arms and hands today. I got in 175 miles before I had to leave to get my baby at the airport, I really wanted to go for 200, ride till 7, the whole 24 hours, but took too many rest stops I guess. I am surprised my garmin says I only rode for 11.36 hours, it seemed a lot longer. I set a 150 mile goal, I would ride off the course up East blvd. to Carribu coffee for a much deserved java cooler (with an extra shot!) But Dari didn't know that, she had Jim bring everone a starbucks frappacino (fatacino) in the afternoon. No wonder I missed my weight loss goal. Thanks to all the non riding Bees that came out, Rollie, who brought enough bagels for all bootyville, Coach on his crutches, Jack and Joanna, LeeAnn and Diane, Jim, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I hope you are just like me, I came last yeat, saw all the fun, and rode this year.

If I ever did get tired, I would be reminded why we were doing this by all the homemade signs along the route, all the "in honor of" and "in memory of" placards on the riders backs, and I would become welled with tears and I would suddenly be filled with determination that someday, cancer will be overcome, no more suffering and loss. And I would keep pressing on, regardless. I tried to say good morning, hello, to each rider that had a Mom or Dad listed on their back. A SMILE is something everyone everywhere does in the same language.

No comments: