Sunday, June 14, 2009

Would Jesus ride a bicycle?

I asked God to help me lose weight. I really don't eat that often, like all day long but I have a portion problem, I never know when to stop eating.
About two years ago I got sick and lost about 10 lbs in one weekend! I wasn't fun at the time, but I was able to keep it off for awhile. Winter time seems to get me the worst. All those holidays, all that food. Well I didn't get sick last winter, the pounds came back on, but I really never got down to where I wanted to be during the summer prime bike riding season. So this year I watch in horror as the scale climbs back up...22o, 225, 227, 230! I think I finally topped out around 237, might have hit 240 one time. About 6 years ago, at my biggest I was around 260+. That's when my diabetes appeared. I was so bad out of shape. I remembered when I was a young, skinny kid. That's when I rode my bike everywhere. I would even ride it over to my girlfriends houses.
So I decided to start riding a bike again. The first few times out, I hardly got in 3 miles, I was huffing and puffing, and soaked in sweat. I stuck with it and the weight started falling off pretty fast. Soon I was going 5 miles, then 7! Then 10 and I finally got up to 15 miles around and around my neighborhood. I finally ventured out on the back roads of Union Co. My diabetes has backed away, as long as I continue to exercise and try to watch what I eat and drink, I don't even have to take any meds for it anymore!
Anyhow, to make a long story short, this spring there I was again, 237 lbs. and it seemed no amount of riding was working to burn off that fat. So I asked my God again, Lord, please help me to lose weight again. I'll even suffer thru another episode of illness like I did a few years ago to get this thing kick started. LOL, When am I gonna learn I can't make deals with my Maker. He knows what I need, and He knows how to get me there. I didn't see any burning bushes, and the weight didn't go away, if anything it seemed to increase.
I started losing weight again! I kinda of liked that, so I waited as long as I could before going to talk to my DR about all the sadness. Yesterday after a 67 mile ride with the Bee team. I got home and got on the scale. 212.5! WOOHOO!!! (But some was water weight, I gained back to 215 at the end of the day as I re hydrated.)
So I started this blog to express my innermost feelings. I was thinking earlier today, did God answer my plea for to lose weight, by letting all this happen. That's pretty far fetched, I know, but maybe stranger things have happened. After all, he is in control of everything. And the bible says to thank God if you find yourself in trials and tribulations. You know, Long suffering produces Perseverance, Perseverance creates Character, something like that. I am working with limited mental capabilities here. I guess I should really go get my bible and look it up so I will be right in my quotes.
Anyway, God does answer us, sometimes in ways we would have never thought of.

Thank you God for all the trials I have before me. I mess up pretty regular, usually when I go my own way, not yours. Please use all the trials you put before me to shape me, and mold me into the person you want me to be. Please use your staff and rod to guide me away from danger, just like the good Shepard's did in the past. Amen.

No comments: